Monday, June 11, 2012

Came across this and thought it was note worthy... it was in one of my notebooks so I'm not sure of the source.  (Perhaps out of the  Before you Meet Prince Charming book. )  I definitely did not have all these qualities before I was married.  But, as I look back at my struggles in married life years, I can pin those times to 'a lack of' or weakness in one of these areas...  If you are wondering what to do this summer, here is a list!! Take your pick! :) I still have work to do!

-->
Checklist to being a Suitable Bride
of Christ and/or man

Do I have: Eternal life - Personal relationship with Christ
                  A Clear conscience?
Am I about God's business?  - Have I diligently sought out what God's wants me to work on?  Have I
                  diligently worked at completing the tasks God has given me?
Do I have a good relationship with Parents and Siblings?   - Have you done all you can do to rectify
                  difficult family relationships? Have you forgiven them and yourself, can you pray for them
                  and say that you love them? Baggage does not leave with marriage; it transfers and recreates
                  itself.
Have I learned to be a servant, by seeing and meeting the needs of others before my own?
Have I learned to overcome anger?
Is there anyone I cannot forgive?
Am I able to take advice and seek advice from older Godly brothers and sisters? Have I sought them
                  out and visited with them?
Do I read my Bible daily?
Do I find myself often in prayer, consulting and enjoying intimate conversation with Him?
Have I been diligent to identify and develop the skills, ministry, service to others and interests God
                  has given me?
Have I learned basic life skills; educational and practical that will be needed to live independently
                  from my parents, whether that be married or single.  Are you able to take care of a home;
                  financially (tracking finances, budgeting, ect.), maintenance wise ( starting mower, basic
                  electrical knowledge, car care), keeping a house (cleaning needs, laundry, cooking)... ect
Am I ready to be a parent?  work with children to learn about them, know their needs (physical,
                  emotional, spiritual, how to teach them discipline & self-discipline). whether it is your kids or nieces
                  and nephews - invaluable knowledge to have.
Have I learned to be a giver, not a taker, in real relationships. To be an active listener, not always a speaker/fixer.